Saturday 29 January 2011

Vintage book: Girls Crystal Annual 1960

Hello you.

Seeing as how you've been working so hard in my Twitter class all week I thought I'd let you relax today by flicking through one of my carboot sale discoveries; a Girls Crystal Annual from 1960 which cost me all of 25p!

Feel free to curl up on the sofa with some chocolate while you browse:

The front papers feature some lovely nostalgic illustrations:

And there's some great melodramatic stories going on inside:

Check out "that prying minx"!

Then there's 'happy-go-lucky' Bill and his badge of magic powers!

And what girl's annual would be complete without something set in a boarding school?

Whatever you're doing today I hope it's a good one.

I'm having a day off. I'm not planning to work on any commissions, projects, future-class planning ... or even current e-lessons! I'm just waiting for some gesso to dry and then I'll be off art-journaling ... I've even cleared my desk in preparation ... so I must be determined no?

See you very soon.

Jx

8 comments:

  1. What a brilliant find. The book lover in me is drooling over this. I shall look out for one of these as I trail the charity shops.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super duper fabulous book. You must have an excellent eye for scouting out delights as well as an awesome bargain hunting partner.
    Enjoy your day of rest... I am doing the same, all this school and homework have tired me out!
    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous book - those illustrations! I never seem to find things like that around here - what will you do with it? Keep as is or turn into something else?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reminds me of the Bunty. This was the first Christmas I didn't get one :( You definitely got a bargain there!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, would you believe that I have read this one! When I was little my Grandma still had a collection of my aunts old annuals in her attic and we were allowed to look at them if we were good! Lovely photos

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum Jill and her twin Judy were given this book for Christmas in 1960, i always looked at it when i was little, the pictures were so beautiful. The twins also received an annual called 'Jill and Judy Annual', havent seen another copy ever, must be very hard to find.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for all your lovely feedback on this:

    @Trish + Sian - I never imagined some of you would actually know the book! Thanks for sharing your memories.

    @Hannah - yes, I do have a really good bargain hunting partner ... she's got nice pointy elbows ...
    ;-)

    @Anne - I originally thought I would cut it up and use the images ... now I don't know if I can bring myself to!

    @Olivia - I think you should keep your eyes peeled and find yourself a vintage annual this year to make up for it!

    @ Vivienne - best of luck finding one - let me know if you do!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My aunt gave this to me when I was seven or eight years old and I remember much of it. I lived in Canada at the time. Such good memories. Thank you for putting parts of it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment, asking me a question, sharing your own story or just randomly saying hello.